Online Video and Written Instruction
Learn an easy fusible reverse appliqué technique with an option for a faux trapunto effect.
Painlessly create beautiful designs with intricate detail, perfect for quilts, wearables, borders or accents. Long flowing, curly borders or pictures with the sharpest points and thinnest lines imaginable are possible with this easy method using fusible web.
Combine fabrics such as silk and wool for wearables or stick to quilting cottons tried and true. Give your design that extra punch with the added dimension of trapunto.... without all the slitting and stuffing! As an added bonus, it’s super easy to create two images at the same time, one positive and one negative.
You will learn:
What kind of patterns will work for this technique
How to do reverse fusible appliqué
Different ways for transferring your pattern to cloth
How to use fusible web
How to create a faux-trapunto effect
Hints for quilting your finished top
unlimited lifetime access
Three Patterns are included in this class
This course includes space for you to share your pictures and get feedback from your classmates. The more you contribute, the livelier class will be. Lyric will pop in to give feedback on each picture posted. This platform provides a safe space for a lively and sharing creative community to explore without judgement and competition.
The lessons are available 24/7 and include downloadable practice patterns pdfs to work from. There are short videos to show how Lyric works each step of the process..
Just like in a live classroom, you'll be able to see your fellow students work and discuss how things are going. You'll get encouragement and instruction from Lyric on all the work you post.
Supplies consist of things you already have at hand so you won't be time or money shopping for things you might not use again. The most important supply is an adventurous willingness to explore, grow, and play as you learn to see and create within the framework of abstract design. Doodles will be scribbled, eyes and minds will be opened, and fun will be had. Won't you join us?
- You will need to print off a pattern onto two letter-sized pages and tape them together before class. You will find the lesson as you click through to the next session here.
- Zig-zag sewing machine (Oiled and clean, open toe embroidery foot if you have one, smaller
- needle such as 70/10, 75/11 needle, extra bobbins if you buy a kit!)
- Size 75/11 machine needles
- Small, pointy, sharp scissors
- Paper scissors
- Pencil, Sharpie, White pencil
- Lightweight thread to match fabrics.
- If your top fabric is patterned, match thread to its darkest color.
Gather these supplies (kits are available at the LyricKinard.com shop)
- 1/2 yd Wonder-Under or other fusible web that is “sewable” (not heavy-weight W-U)
- One fat quarter of dark or light plain fabric, no large prints
- One solid or hand-dyed fat quarter of fabric that contrasts highly with your first fabric
- One solid fat quarter that contrasts with BOTH of your first two fat quarters.
- One fat quarter fabric for back of quilt
- Batting, two fat quarters - one puffy, one flat. I prefer one piece of Quilters Dream Puff and one Hobbs Heirloom Cotton.
- 1/2 yd lightweight tear-away stabilizer
- Darning foot or other free-motion quilting foot for your machine
- Extension cord, lamp Lightbox
- Applique scissors, pinking shears
- Pressing surface, mini iron, rotary cutter, cutting mat
- Sewing machine with zig-zag required.
Q: How does this work once I purchase this class?
A: Once you finish payment, you will receive a PDF with a link for enrollment in the online course. You will need to create a username and password to access the course materials.
Q: How long will the course be open?
A: For as long as Lyric is teaching, which we hope is many more years.
Q: What are the lessons like?
A: Each lesson includes short videos as well as written instructions.
Q: I'm half-way across the world in a different time zone. Will I miss half of what is going on?
A: Not at all. The beauty of online classes is that you can come to them at your convenience. There is no "live" element to this class that you will miss.
Q: How much interaction is there from the teacher?
A: If you can't find the answer to your question in the comment section post your query. Lyric will answer within a few days.
Q: Can I interact with other students?
A: Of course. Each lesson has a comment section where students can ask questions and talk to each other. The more you comment, the better!
Q: Is the content downloadable?
A: No, but you can access them anywhere you have wifi or a data connection.
Q: What do I need to know about using a computer?
A: You'll need to be able to save the URL and password. If you want to post photos you'll need to take a picture of your work and upload it to the course comment section. That's about it!